- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet, skin removed and fish cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add onions and sauté until onions are soft and transparent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add orzo and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the pasta with oil. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine is mostly evaporated. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that mixture maintains a low simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- After the orzo has cooked for 15 minutes, stir in peas and Parmesan cheese. There should still be some liquid in the pan. If mixture is dry, add remaining 1/2 cup of broth. Add salmon pieces to the pan, nestling the pieces in the orzo. Cover the pan and adjust heat so that mixture is at a low simmer again. Cook an additional 5 to 8 minutes until salmon is just cooked through and orzo is al dente. Remove lid and gently stir orzo to soak up any remaining liquid. Adjust seasoning for salt and pepper and serve.