We eat salmon on a regular basis in our house. Most of the time, I season it with an herb mix, roast it in the oven, steam some veggies as a side and call it a day. However, it is good to change things up on occasion. These salmon, guacamole, bacon wraps are a tasty change from the usual fare and require only a little bit more effort. To cut down on prep work, I often buy prepared guacamole from my grocery store. I only recommend that option if your store makes it fresh on-site with real avocados, onions, cilantro, lime juice etc. It is as good as homemade and a great time saver. More and more grocery stores are offering it nowadays. Otherwise, I would recommend making your own. Either way, make sure you taste it and add salt and lime juice to your liking. For the bacon, you can put the bacon slices on a foiled lined rimmed baking sheet and roast them in the oven along side the salmon. It will save you from having to wash a skillet later.
With dinner all wrapped up (get it?), I can move on to other things, like, what’s for dessert?
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons white or red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 - 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and drained
- Baby spinach leaves, optional
- 4 fajita size flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season salmon fillet with salt and pepper and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast salmon in oven for 15-20 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole. In a medium bowl, stir together onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise around the pit. Twist the avocado halves in opposite directions and pull the halves apart. Scoop out the avocado pulp with a spoon and add to the onion mixture. Add lime juice and salt. With a spoon or fork, roughly mash the avocado while mixing in the onion mixture until evenly combined. Taste and season with additional lime juice or salt as needed. Set aside.
- To assemble the wraps, warm tortillas in microwave for 60-90 seconds so they are soft enough to roll. Spread guacamole down the center of each tortilla. Then top with large chunks of the cooked salmon, one slice of bacon (you may need to tear it in half), and some spinach leaves (if using). Roll up each tortilla and serve.
Recipe adapted from the Barefoot Contessa.