- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Flour for dredging (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups panko Japanese style bread crumbs
- Canola oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wine, cilantro, salt and pepper until smooth. Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken up slightly.
- Place the flour for dredging in a shallow bowl or plate. Place the panko bread crumbs in another shallow bowl or plate.
- Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch and heat until hot. While the oil heats, prepare the shrimp. Dip each shrimp in the flour, shaking off any excess. Then dip it into the wine batter allowing any excess to drip off. Then coat shrimp in panko bread crumbs pressing on crumbs to help them stick to the shrimp.
- Fry the shrimp in batches, until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels.