A zesty dressing and a sweet-salty spice rub make this Thai beef salad deeply flavorful yet quick and easy to make. No marinating time required.
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed and cut into 2 to 3 large pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 8–10 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups (about 7 ounces) mix cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Soak shallots. Toss the shallots and lime juice together in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make spice rub. In a small bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, salt, and pepper until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Prep steak. Pat the steak dry with paper towels, then rub all over with the sugar-salt mixture. Let sit at room temperature while preparing the grill.
- Prep grill. Heat the grill over high heat until hot.
- Cook steak. Grill the steaks over direct heat for 2-4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Make dressing. Add fish sauce, chili sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to the shallot-lime juice mixture. Stir mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Arrange salad. On a large serving dish or platter, toss together the salad greens, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, tomatoes, shallots (from the dressing), and about half of the dressing.
- Cut meat. Thinly slice the steak against the grain, then arrange the slices on top of the salad. Drizzle any accumulated juices over the steak and salad.
- Serve. Garnish the salad with additional cilantro and mint leaves and serve, passing the extra dressing around the table.
Recipe adapted from Milk Street.
Keywords: thai salad, thai beef, thai steak salad, grilled thai beef