These roasted vegetable tostadas flavored with ancho chile and spices and served with fried eggs, queso fresco, and salsa make for a great vegetarian dinner.
- 2 pounds hearty vegetables (I use beets, carrots, & cauliflower), trimmed/peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder (use less if you don’t spicy foods)
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or more as needed)
- 1 large white or yellow onion, halved through root end, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 tostada shells (store-bought or homemade by either baking corn tortillas in the oven or frying them up in hot oil.)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese or queso fresco, for serving
- Chopped cilantro leaves, for serving
- Salsa (homemade or store-bought), for serving
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss the vegetables with garlic powder, chile powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, pepper, kosher salt, and olive oil until vegetables are evenly coated.
- Roast the vegetables until they are tender, 35-45 minutes, tossing about halfway through.
- While vegetables are roasting, fry the onions. Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Carefully fry onions, adding a little bit at time to avoid too much spattering, reducing heat and adding more oil as needed, until tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined dish to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan. Crack 4 eggs into skillet, leaving space around each one, and cook until whites are set and edges are crisp, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- To serve, spoon vegetable mixture onto tostadas, dividing evenly. Then top each with an egg, fried onions, crumbled cheese, cilantro, and salsa.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit, March 2020.
Keywords: roasted vegetable, tostada