These pumpkin spice waffles are perfect for a fall breakfast. They are crispy on the outside and full of pumpkin flavor and warm spices on the inside.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup raw or turbinado sugar
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Mix dry ingredients. Heat a belgian waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, butter, vanilla, and egg yolks. Set aside.
- Beat eggs whites. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Mix together. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Fold in the beaten egg whites with a spatula until just incorporated. Fold in raw sugar.
- Cook waffles. Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook following the manufacturer’s instructions until waffles are golden brown. Set the waffle on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Keywords: belgian waffle, pumpkin waffle