- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (from a 16-oz bag)
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped scallions
- Salt to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (5-oz) package Boursin garlic-herb cheese, keep chilled until ready to crumble over eggs
- Smoked salmon slices, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a cast iron or ovenproof 9 to 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet over high heat. Add potatoes and scallions to oil, season with salt and stir until potatoes are evenly coated with oil. Spread mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes. Stir potato mixture again, spread mixture evenly, then cover and cook 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- While potatoes are browning, whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper until just combined. Set aside until potatoes are done.
- Pour beaten eggs over potato mixture. Using a fork, scrape the top of the cheese with tines to evenly crumble cheese over eggs. Transfer skillet to oven and bake frittata, uncovered, until set and just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately with slices of smoked salmon.
Recipe from Gourmet Magazine, December 2005.