Peaches foster is a delicious variation on the classic bananas foster – ripe peaches get caramelized in butter, brown sugar, and rum then served over vanilla ice-cream.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps
- 4 large ripe peaches, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Vanilla ice-cream, for serving
- Make the caramel sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When butter is mostly melted, add the sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, 4 minutes.
- Cook peaches: Carefully add peach schnapps (it will splatter) and peaches. Turn up the heat so mixture is at a low simmer. Cook until peaches are soft and slightly caramelized, 3-5 minutes. Carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot. Then ignite the rum with a long match. When flames die down, stir the sauce to ensure that all of the alcohol cooks out. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve: Serve cooked peaches over ice cream and top with the caramel sauce in the pan.
- Recipe adapted from Brennan’s New Orleans.
Keywords: peaches foster, fresh peaches, peach schnapps