For the kale pesto
- 4 cups packed torn kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 2 balls fresh burrata cheese, at room temperature
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Freshly chopped basil leaves, for serving
For the kale pesto
- Put the kale, basil, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and pulse to a fairly smooth paste, scraping down the sides as necessary. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the tomatoes in a single layer. Drizzle evenly with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the tomatoes with the olive oil and seasonings until evenly coated.
- Roast the tomatoes until they start to burst and are browned, 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta (but do not rinse). Immediately return the pasta to the empty cooking pot. Stir the kale pesto into the hot pasta until evenly coated. Add the roasted tomatoes including any oil and juices from the roasting pan. Stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among plates. Top each serving with some burrata, chopped basil and Parmesan cheese to taste.
Keywords: roasted tomatoes, how to roast tomatoes in the oven, how to make kale pesto