For the steak
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar (I use an aged balsamic vinegar)
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1–1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of excess surface fat
For the vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 ears of corn, husked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, preferably a mix of colors
- 3 green onions
- Olive oil, for grilling
- Flaky sea salt, optional
Marinate the steak
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, parsley, garlic and a couple of pinches each of salt and pepper. Place the skirt steak in a baking dish or zip-top bag large enough to hold the steak. Pour about 1/3 cup of the marinade over the steak and turn the steak to coat evenly. Reserve the remaining marinade as a dressing for the salad. Marinate the steak for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
Grill the vegetables and steak
- Prepare a medium-high grill.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, generously, season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and toss until the vegetables are evenly coated with oil. Put the tomatoes on skewers if desired. Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender with nice grill marks, 10 to 15 minutes. The corn may take up to 25 minutes. The tomatoes and green onions will only take 1-2 minutes. Move the vegetables to a clean rimmed baking sheet as they finish cooking and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat the steak dry with a paper towel. Grill the steak, flipping once, until grill marks form on both sides and cooked to your liking, 8-10 minutes for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steak rests, cut the bell pepper, squash, and zucchini into large pieces. Cut the corn kernels from the cob. Chop the green onions. Remove the tomatoes from the skewers. Arrange the vegetables on a large platter. Season with sea salt, if desired, and gently toss. Slice the steak against the grain into thin slices, then slice again with the grain to create bite size pieces. Arrange steak over the vegetables. Drizzle some reserved dressing for the salad and serve passing remaining dressing alongside.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking, Aug/Sep 2015.