- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup raw or turbinado sugar
- For serving – powdered sugar, maple syrup, sliced strawberries, and/or sweetened whipped cream as desired
- Heat a belgian waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and egg yolks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Fold in the beaten egg whites with a spatula until just incorporated. Fold in raw sugar.
- Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook following the manufacturer’s instructions until waffles are golden brown. Set the waffle on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Recipe adapted from A Cozy Kitchen.
Regarding the sugar – if you don’t like a sweet waffle, you can omit or reduce the sugar without affecting the texture.