This lemon tea cake is light and lemony thanks to the lemon drizzle. It’s delicious with a cup of hot tea for a great afternoon snack or light dessert.
For the cake
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar, for serving (optional)
For the lemon drizzle
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray with non-stick baking spray an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the side of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed to low then add the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk, in 3 additions, until well-blended, scraping down the side of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake cake for about 40 to 50 minutes or just until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the lemon drizzle. Stir the sugar, lemon juice, and water together in a small saucepan over low heat until mixture comes to a low simmer and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the cake from oven and set on a cooling rack. Poke holes in the hot cake with a wooden skewer, then evenly spoon the lemon syrup over the top of the cake.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack. Let cake cool completely then dust with powdered sugar (if desired), slice, and serve.
Keywords: lemon tea cake, what to serve at a tea party, snack cake, lemon dessert