For the filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
For the cake
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.
- To make the filling, stir all of the filling ingredients together in a medium bowl until evenly crumbly. Set aside.
- To make the cake, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and beat again until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and milk.
- With the mixer running on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Spread half the batter in the pan, and sprinkle evenly with the filling mixture. Spread the remaining batter over the filling mixture.
- Bake the cake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.
The batter is fairly thick and it can be be difficult to spread over the filling. It works best to drop spoonfuls of the batter on the filling and then use a small offset spatula to spread the batter out until it is smooth and even.
Make sure the butter and eggs are at room temperature. Also be sure to beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will ensure that the cake batter has a lot of volume which will also help with spreading the batter in the pan.