- 1 pound cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil, add the tortellini, and cook according to the package instructions. When the tortellini is almost al dente, add the asparagus. Cook the asparagus and pasta for another 2-3 minutes, then add the frozen peas. Cook for 1 minute more, until the peas are warmed through and pasta is done cooking. Drain the tortellini and vegetables, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid. Return the pasta mixture to the pan or transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the cream until well blended.
- While the pasta is still hot, pour the egg and cream mixture over the pasta. Gently toss the mixture together with a rubber spatuala while sprinkling in the Parmesan cheese. If necessary, add a little of the reserved cooking water to thin the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve as soon as possible with extra Parmesan on the side.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver.
Keywords: easy dinner, weeknight pasta, pasta carbonara,