- 4 cups canned whole tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 12–14 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, crush the tomatoes using a potato masher or your hands. Stir in tomato juice and vegetable stock. Simmer soup over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Purée soup, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in a blender or food processor or add basil leaves to the saucepan and purée soup with an immersion blender.
- Return soup to saucepan (if you used a blender or food processor) and stir in cream and butter. Cook soup over low heat until cream and butter are incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite warm bread.
Recipe adapted from La Madeleine restaurant via the Houston Chronicle.