- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced, divided
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 large limes), divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste (or more if you want more heat)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for serving
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can refried black or pinto beans
- 1/4 cup your favorite salsa
- 8 tostada shells (store-bought or homemade by either baking corn tortillas in the oven or frying them up in hot oil.)
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving, optional
- In a small bowl, toss half the shallots with 2 tablespoons lime juice and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add remaining shallots and oregano and cook until shallots are soft, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and chipotle paste and cook until sauce begins to simmer and is slightly thickened. Add shredded chicken and remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice and gently stir until the chicken is evenly coated and cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the refried beans and salsa. Cover the beans with a paper towel and then warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat as necessary until the beans are warmed through.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread refried beans on the tostadas shell. Then top with chicken mixture, pickled shallots, cotija cheese, and chopped cilantro, dividing all the components evenly among the tostadas. Serve with extra lime wedges, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Chef’d.