Laced with cranberries and orange zest, this cranberry bread is delicious buttered and toasted on a cold winter morning. Keep some cranberries in your freezer and make this bread all-year round.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup raw cranberries, chopped or sliced (see Notes)
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Softened butter, for serving
- Prep oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, flour, baking powder, and baking soda together until evenly mixed.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir in egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest. Add cranberries and nuts and mix to combine.
- Divide batter. Pour batter into two (8 by 2 1/2-inch) paper loaf pans or one greased 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake. Bake loaves for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool loaves before slicing.
- Serve. To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices and spread softened butter on to one side of each slice. Lay slices buttered side up in a single layer on a baking sheet then bake in oven until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.
- I find using the slicing blade on my food processor is the easiest way to slice the cranberries.
- This bread freezes very well. Once the bread has cooled, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, then wrap it in aluminum foil. If the bread was baked in a glass or metal loaf pan, remove the bread from the pan before wrapping it. If it was baked in a paper loaf pan, you can leave it in the loaf pan to wrap it.
Keywords: holiday baking, cranberry bread recipe, fresh cranberry recipe, easy cranberry bread