Laced with cranberries and orange zest, this cranberry bread is delicious buttered and toasted on a cold winter morning.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup raw cranberries, chopped or sliced (see Notes)
- ¾ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Softened butter, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, flour, baking powder, and baking soda together until evenly mixed. Stir in egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest. Add cranberries and nuts and mix to combine. Pour batter into two 8×2 1/2-inch paper loaf pans or one greased 9×5-inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices and spread softened butter on to one side of each slice. Lay slices buttered side up in a single layer on a baking sheet then bake in oven until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.
I find using the slicing blade on my food processor is the easiest way to slice the cranberries. This bread freezes very well. Once the bread has cooled, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, then wrap it in aluminum foil. If the bread was baked in a glass or metal loaf pan, remove the bread from the pan before wrapping it. If it was baked in a paper loaf pan, you can leave it in the loaf pan to wrap it.
Keywords: holiday baking, cranberry bread recipe, fresh cranberry recipe, easy cranberry bread