- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (2–3 ears)
- 1 pound fresh lump crab meat, shell pieces removed
- 1/2 to 1 cup whipping cream (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Add the bacon to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry bacon until nicely browned, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from pan. If you do not have enough bacon grease or prefer a lighter dish, substitute in olive oil. To the same pan, add the onions and sauté until the onions are tender and lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth and celery salt, scraping up any browned bits from the pan. Stir in corn and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until soup has thickened slightly and corn is firm-tender, 20-30 minutes. Gently stir in crabmeat, cream, cilantro, pepper, and salt. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until chowder is heated through. Serve warm with crumbled bacon and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro, if desired.
For a slightly lighter and less rich soup, you can use the lesser amount of cream.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living.