This Asian inspired marinade makes chicken extra flavorful thanks to the cilantro, lime, ginger, and fish sauce. A little bit of mayonnaise in the marinade keeps the chicken juicy and tender.
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot, cut into quarters
- 1 inch piece of ginger, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (like sambal oelek)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Make the marinade. In the bowl of a food processor, purée all the ingredients except the chicken until well blended and mostly smooth.
- Marinate the chicken. Place the chicken in a clean bowl and pour the marinade over the chicken. Using tongs, toss the chicken in the marinade until all the pieces are well coated. Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours).
- Prep. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat until it starts to shimmer. Add half of the chicken and brown on both sides (2-3 minutes per side). Transfer the chicken to a small baking sheet and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken. Roast the chicken in oven until it is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine, August 2020.
Keywords: cilantro lime chicken, mayo marinated chicken