- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 2 cups less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups hot cooked orzo (about 1/2 cup uncooked rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for serving, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add green onions, carrots, and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until carrots begin to soften. Stir in white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Bring soup to a low simmer then stir in cream. Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken and cook until heated through.
- Divide orzo and soup among 4 soup bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with chopped parsley, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, April 2000.