- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound small white button or crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow or green onions
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated sharp Cheddar (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly toast walnuts on a baking sheet in the oven and then finely chop. Set aside.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop stems; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter. With a pastry brush gently brush mushroom caps all over with some of the melted butter. Arrange caps, stemmed sides up, on a large baking sheet.
- In remaining butter, sauté chopped mushroom stems and onions over moderately high heat until mixture is softened. Remove skillet from heat and stir in walnuts, parsley, Cheddar, bread crumbs, and salt. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- Divide filling mixture among mushroom caps, mounding filling slightly on top of each cap. Bake mushrooms for 20 minutes or until filling is hot and mushroom caps are soft. Serve mushrooms warm.
Mushrooms may be stuffed 4 hours ahead, chilled and covered until ready to bake.
Recipe from Gourmet Magazine, November 1997.