- 3/4 cup yellow corn grits (I use Arrowhead Mills)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups milk (2% or whole), divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the grits
- Stir together the grits, water, and 2 cups milk in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl with wax paper and cook in microwave on High until thickened, about 15 minutes, whisking every 5 minutes to combine.
- Stir in butter and cheese. If grits are too thick, heat remaining 1 cup milk and stir into grits 1/4 cup at a time until the grits are the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- While the grits are cooking, fry chopped bacon over medium high heat in a heavy skillet until bacon is lightly browned and crispy. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the fat from the pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat until onions begin to soften, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes.
- When grits are done cooking, stir onions into grits.
- To serve, divide grits among four bowls. Fry the eggs to your liking. Top the grits with bacon, eggs, and chopped chives.
Different microwaves cook on HIGH at different temperatures. I have a 1000 watt microwave and the grits cooked perfectly in 15 minutes. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the wattage of your microwave.