Enjoy blueberry season with this rustic, free-form blueberry tart. It’s perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 11 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
For the filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch table salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Vanilla ice-cream, for serving
For the crust
- Mix dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add butter. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and add them to the flour mixture. On low speed, mix the butter and flour together until the mixture begins to look crumbly and holds together when you squeeze a handful of dough with your fingers, 1 to 2 minutes. If there are still lumps of butter larger than the size of peas, break them up with your fingers. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a spatula to loosen any flour or butter stuck to the bowl.
- Add wet ingredients. In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and milk until well blended and then add them to the flour mixture. On low speed, mix until the dough just comes together, about 15 seconds.
- Gather. Gather the dough into a ball and put it onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Press the dough into a flat disk, wrap it in the plastic, and chill it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes before rolling it out.
For assembling the galette
- Prep oven and pan. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll-out dough. Remove the dough from the refrigerator; if the dough is very firm, let it sit at room temperature until it’s pliable enough to roll without cracking, 10 to 15 minutes. Roll out dough into a 13-inch round on a generously floured surface. Transfer the dough round to the prepared baking sheet and chill it in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Mix filling. In a large bowl, gently stir the blueberries with the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt until everything is evenly mixed. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the blueberry mixture and stir until cornstarch is evenly mixed in.
- Make galette. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature until the dough is soft enough to fold without cracking, 5-10 minutes. Spoon the filling in the center of the dough round leaving a 2-inch border uncovered around the edge. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the filling all the way around, pleating the dough as you go.
- Finish crust. Brush the pleated dough evenly with the egg wash. Sprinkle the granulated sugar directly on the dough and fruit.
- Bake. Bake the tart until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool. Serve slices of warm tart with scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking.
Keywords: blueberry tart, blueberry pie