- 1 (750 ml) bottle sparkling wine or champagne (I used a Brut Rosé)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Mint leaves for garnish, optional
- Pour sparkling wine into a 2 quart bowl and allow to sit while preparing the simple syrup.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Set saucepan over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar; let simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar mixture, orange juice and lemon juice to sparking wine, stirring until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions until sorbet is the consistency of thick slush. Then, transfer the sorbet to a freezer-safe container, cover and freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- Scoop sorbet into serving glasses and garnish with mint leaves, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jami Martino.