- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or sriracha sauce
- Make the marinade by stirring the garlic, scallions, cilantro, cumin, brown sugar, fish sauce, oil, and chili-garlic sauce together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the flank steak in half lengthwise first (with the grain). Then, slice the flank steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Hold the knife at slight angle to the cutting surface to get wide strips.
- Weave the strips of beef onto bamboo skewers and place in a 13×9 inch pyrex baking dish. Pour the marinade over the meat. Turn the skewers in the marinade so that all the beef is evenly coated with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the broiler. Lay the skewers in a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Broil for 7 minutes, flipping the skewers over halfway through, until the meat is browned and lightly charred. You may have to cook the skewers in batches if you cannot fit all the skewers in the pan in a single layer. Cover cooked skewers with foil while you cook the remaining skewers.
For easier slicing, freeze the flank steak for 30 minutes first. I did not have time to do this and found that just using a sharp chefs knife worked fine.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.