- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (not juice)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds beef sirloin or trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into approximately 24 (3/4-inch) cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together pomegranate molasses, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, cumin, cinnamon, and black pepper. Pour marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef or lamb, seal bag, and marinate meat in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Thread 4-5 pieces of meat onto each skewer alternating with red bell pepper pieces. Sprinkle kebabs with salt and pepper. Grill kebabs, turning once, 4-5 minutes for medium-rare.
Pomegranate molasses can be found at Middle Eastern grocery stores, Amazon, and Central Market (for those who live in Texas).
I ended up having extra red bell pepper pieces. I put the extra pieces on a skewer and grilled them along side the kebabs.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit, October 2006.