It’s dreary outside. Let’s eat something colorful. Like this quick and easy mu shu chicken. It has everything you need for a complete nutritious meal – sautéed vegetables, scrambled eggs, shredded chicken, and a yummy hoisin sauce to tie it all together. The fact that it comes together so quickly will have you smiling in no time.
The best part is this recipe has so much potential for variation. You could substitute some sliced roasted pork for the chicken. Or omit the meat entirely and increase the eggs for a vegetarian option . Throw in some snow peas or small broccoli florets to up the vegetables. You could also use lettuce instead of tortillas if you wanted a carb or gluten free alternative. I know tortillas aren’t exactly authentic but they do make a good substitute for the traditional Chinese pancakes.
And the best, best part is that any leftovers heat up beautifully. Just sprinkle some fresh cilantro on top and these wraps will be just as good as if you had just cooked it. Because sometimes you find yourself being a single parent for a week because your spouse happens to be out of town for business, and trying to get to all the swim practices, dance practices, dentist appointments, AND the orthodontist due to a broken retainer, will drive you crazy. Having some mu shu chicken in the fridge will help keep everybody sane. Trust me, I know.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon finely minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped scallions, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 to 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2½ to 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Chopped scallions, optional
- Chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- Stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then add eggs, stirring, until eggs are just cooked through. Transfer scrambled eggs to a plate. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then add ginger, garlic, and half of the scallions. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and barely browned, about 1 minute. Add coleslaw mix, shredded carrots and water and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until coleslaw is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add sauce, chicken, remaining chopped scallions and scrambled eggs to coleslaw mixture. Cook mixture, stirring, until everything is heated through and sauce is evenly distributed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas by putting them between 2 dampened paper towels on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high power until tortillas are warm and pliable, about 40-60 seconds.
- To assemble, spoon filling into tortilla, sprinkle with scallions and cilantro, if desired, then roll up.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet, Feb 2006.