Who’s ready for July 4th? I can barely believe it’s the end of June and that the kids have been out of school for a month already. In other words, I’m totally not ready.
Fortunately, my mother-in-law has the holiday covered. She’ll host the cookout and I’ll mostly just show up and eat. However, I think I can muster up the energy to make this blackberry-blueberry lemonade. Lemonade is always welcomed at a summer party and a flavored lemonade is even better. Thanks to a small shortcut, this lemonade is doable even during these lazy days of summer. I make the blackberry-blueberry syrup from scratch but I use a bottled lemonade to save time. There are some great options for bottled lemonades and limeades these days that are made from all natural ingredients and without artificial sweeteners. So I don’t feel one bit guilty about using this shortcut.
The blackberry-blueberry simple syrup is a great way to use any extra berries you might have on hand that may no longer be pretty enough to use on fresh fruit tarts or fruit salads but are still perfectly fine otherwise.
The ratio of blackberries to blueberries is pretty flexible. I happen to like a stronger blackberry flavor so I have written the recipe to reflect that but you could just as easily do equal amounts of both berries.
You can make a large batch of the blackberry-blueberry syrup and store it in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Then mix up the blackberry-blueberry lemonade by the glass or the pitcher whenever you want and get back to the pool ASAP.
- 2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup bottled lemonade or limeade (I used Simply Limeade)
- Lemon or lime slices, blackberries, blueberries, and mint sprigs for garnish
- Combine the blackberries, blueberries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and fruit has broken down, 4-5 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Chill syrup before using.
- In a glass, stir together 1 cup lemonade and 5 tablespoons blackberry-blueberry syrup. Add ice and garnish with lemon/limes slices, berries and a sprig of mint.
- You can also make a large quantity of lemonade by measuring 8 cups of lemonade into a large pitcher and stirring in 2½ cups of syrup.